Thursday, August 19, 2010

Finding Joy Friday (on Thursday)

So, all summer I've been a bit of a mollygump, our family's word for mild depression, ennui, doldrums and general grumpiness. I was not a joyful mommy, and this made me really sad. In all fairness, it probably made everyone around me sad. Then the other morning Ray took the kids to the zoo to give me a break. I decided to write about this joy problem in my languishing blog. At the same time I couldn't get that Lucinda Williams song (you know the one that goes "you took my joy") out of my head. I wrote several whiny paragraphs lamenting the hard work that is managing a home, a husband and children. Then it hit me.

I took my joy. Not Ray or Amelia or Jack or the mind-numbing housework, but me. Ouch.

So with that thought in mind, I'm introducing "Finding Joy Fridays," except that I'm kinda impatient and couldn't wait until Friday.

Here are just a few of the joyful things from this week:
  • Amelia suggesting that God was the "line leader" when he led the Israelites out of Egypt.
  • Jack's full body slams followed with "I okay, Mama."
  • A freshly mopped kitchen floor.
  • And the joys of knitting podcasts (because if you can't be knitting, at least you can listen to other people talk about it)
See you next Friday or maybe sooner!

1 comment:

AmyDe said...

I'm so sorry you've been in a funk. I know how that is and it is certainly NO FUN! I like the new theme and will participate with you. I hope the blogging is something you can pick up again.

Take care of yourself.