Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Nature Play


Now that the mornings aren't unbearably hot, Jack and I set out for the Forest Ecology Preserve's Nature Park. If you live in Auburn and haven't been there, you're really missing out. It's fun and shady.

First Jack had to check out the mushrooms. They were beautiful. You can't really see from the picture, but the center was a lovely brown dot with smaller dots running in straight lines from the center. I'm thinking I'd like a swirly skirt that looked like that.


Then Jack was off to the sand pit (big surprise, not really). I love that they have kid-sized shovels, rakes, and hoes. Jack loved it, too. And I squeezed in a little knitting on my Daily Sweater swatch.

We had snack in the tree house and watched ants carry off crumbs as big as they were. Jack's OCD tendencies came out, and he had to clean some sap off the rails.

We climbed into a hut covered with dead branches and slid out the other side, jumped on rocks and climbed over logs. Watched a skink and a lizard and another ant carrying a tiny dead grasshopper (very cool).

2 comments:

Ruth said...

I didn't know you had a blog - but I'm now following it. Great descriptions!

Angela said...

Thanks, Ruth! I'm a very sporadic blogger, but I'm trying to do it more often. Gotta keep those writing chops in shape.